[mapserver-users] ASP as template file

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Jun 5 10:51:05 EDT 2002

Christian -

What you're doing wrong is trying to use ASP like this - it simply won't work.  Your client browser makes an HTTP request to the MapServer CGI program, which processes the MAP file, the TEMPLATE file, and the CGI parameters to generate an output stream that's sent to the client in response to that HTTP request.  Alternatively, your client browser could make an HTTP request to the ASP parser program, which processes an ASP file and generates an output stream that's sent to the client in response to that HTTP request.  But a given HTTP request can't do both.

Depending on your circumstances, you might be better off using fewer of the MapServer template features and replacing them with ASP functionality instead.  I wrote a wordy note to the list a little while ago about using ASP with MapServer - you can find it in the archives at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0110/msg00296.html

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker