AW: [mapserver-users] Compiling Mapserver 3.6 for Linux (SuSE8.0)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 26 13:34:28 EDT 2002

Peter Haussl wrote:

> Sorry, Sorry, Sorry...
> You are right a *BRAIN-BUG* happened of course: The file is called
> "mapparser.c".
>
> When I install YACC on my linux-machine, I'll get the following statement:
>
> yacc -p msyy -d -omapparser.c mapparser.y
> usage: yacc [-dlrtv] [-b ...] [-p ...] filename
> make: *** [mapparser.c] Error 1
>
> make definitely tries to use the yacc instead of gcc.
>
> anybody any idea why "make" uses the yacc?

It uses yacc or bison to process the mapfile parser templates and turn
it into a C file.

The problem now seems to be that your copy of yacc doesn't like the -o
option... perhaps it's supported only by bison?  I'm surprised that
bison wasn't picked by default by configure.  Can you check if you have
bison on your system and if you do then edit the Makefile to set the
variable YACC to point to bison.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca