[mapserver-users] Nice satellite images rendering in MS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Jun 30 21:57:11 EDT 2002

Since mapserver as of 3.6 only supports 8bit output, 24bit images get
knocked down to 8bit. This 'knocking down' process can generate a really
UGLY image, or an acceptable image. I have found that using a program
like 'convert' to do the 24-8 conversion first gives me better results
than just relying on mapserver to do the conversion itself. So I
generate 8bit tiffs with convert which I then hand to mapserver to use.

P.