[mapserver-users] What does scale mean?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Mar 11 16:27:42 EST 2002

Steve -

The missing link is RESOLUTION, which by default is 72 DPI but which can
be changed in the MAP file.

MapServer presumes that the output device displays images at RESOLUTION
dots per inch.  This is a reasonable if someone outdated assumption for
display devices (just about all of them are higher res now).  So if 72
dots equals one inch, then a SCALE of 10,000, for example, means that 72
dots on the display equals 10,000 inches on the map, or 1" (map) =
10,000" (ground) = 72 pixels (screen).  If the screen is not exactly 72
dpi, and it's pretty much guaranteed not to be, this is only an
approximation.

That's why scale bars are very handy.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney