[mapserver-users] PHP Vs. Cold Fusion...

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon Mar 11 17:56:13 EST 2002

PHP will do ODBC and database abstraction (Ala Perl DBI),
but it also has strong native DB support[1]. Basically tell
PHP where the DB is, connect to it, send a query and read
the result into the page.

I usually write my own abstraction so I can use DB specific
functionality if I want. For example, older versions of
MySQL didn't do transactions, so my "update" function for
MySQL was a little more convoluted.

While I haven't used Cold Fusion, we have CF people here and
the functionality and theory seem pretty similar between the
two products, and indeed I could probably grok CF code if I
really had to.

Cheers,

Antti
[1] I can't think of a modern DB it doesn't support out of the box.