[mapserver-users] mysql -> php -> .dbf -> ??? -> shapefile -> mapscript -> map Need youd advice.

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Mar 16 23:20:47 EST 2002

The step with the '???' is called geocoding.

Basically you have to have a way (data source and application) to lookup
the addresses and turn them into a lat/long then you can make a
shapefile. Geocoding is not part of Mapserver or Mapscript.

If all your addresses are in the US, you can look them up in the
Tiger/Line data files from the US Census, for other countries, I am not
sure where you can get the data, other than commerical datasets and
geocoders which tend to be very pricey.

Greg Mader posted a link to his beginnings of an OpenSource Geocoder but
it would still need data. Check out
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmader/

BTW, How many addresses to you have?
How many in the US?