[mapserver-users] Drawing features dynamically

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at cria.org.br
Mon Mar 18 13:57:05 EST 2002

    Does anyone know how to draw features (points, lines and polygons)
dynamically over a base map using Perl or PHP mapscript?
    I would like to draw data points coming from disparate (remote) data
sources, which are providing data as a XML documents. Each document can
contain a large number of features (thousands). I would like to avoid
writing individual shapefiles for each dataset, just to display them. I
would like to know if mapserver has any built in mechanism to display
dynamic features, besides the one described on the CGI documentation
(which is designed to handle small amounts of data).
    I've been exploring the pointObj and its methods (especially the
draw() method), because it seems to be developed to implement the kind
of feature I'm looking for. However, I couldn't write anything that does
what I want. Mostly, I get segmentation fault errors. Does anyone know
any sample scripts that draw points using this object?

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Scachetti Pereira
Gerente de Pesquisa