[mapserver-users] 24 Bit colour images

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Mar 19 13:07:09 EST 2002

Yes, this is a planned enhancement. It's not clear when though. A lot
depends on where the GD
library goes in the near future. At the moment they're stuck on a beta
version of 2.0 and I've
been waiting for that official release before moving forward.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Shaun Kolomeitz" <S.Kolomeitz at toowoomba.qld.gov.au> 03/18/02
10:12PM >>>
My appologies if this has already been responded to, although I
couldn't
find a reference to it in the FAQ's.
Is there a likelyhood that MapServer (or the modules which ut uses)
will
support 24bit colour images and rendering in the future.
Our most used dataset is a 24 bit colour SID Image (which we would
convert
to TIF).
I noticed that the current method is to re-sample using GDAL into 8bit
or
use an 8bit image to start with. This is ok for Topo's and the like,
but
not so crash hot for orthophoto images.
TIA,
Shaun