[mapserver-users] MapScript and PHP 4.1.2

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 22 16:23:23 EST 2002

Hi,

We've finally got a version of MapScript that works with PHP 4.1.2 ...
or at least it does compile and work well with the few apps that we used
it with until now.  The fixes are in the latest CVS version, and should
likely be part of tomorrow's nightly build on the UMN website.

A few more notes about PHP and MapScript:

 - PHP4.0.6 and 4.1.2 are the only versions of PHP that are known to
   work well with MapScript 3.6-dev (the version in CVS)

 - Starting with this version, you MUST configure your PHP as a CGI
   in order to use MapScript.  There are known thread-safety issues
   with the module at the moment and it is not safe to use with a PHP
   Apache module or ISAPI configuration.  I've added a test and a
   fatal error will be produced by ms_newMapObj() if your PHP server
   is not configured as a CGI.
   See the following page on the Wiki for help on configuring PHP as
   a CGI under Apache:
      http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI

 - The MapScript 3.5-release version works only with 4.0.6 and will
   never be ported to 4.1.2

 - The latest CVS version marks the beginning of a move away from PHP3.
   It probably won't compile with PHP3, and as we rework the module
   to fix other PHP4 issues, we will also flush all PHP3-related stuff.
   So for those who are still running PHP3 servers, please start to
   plan for an upgrade if you want to use future versions of MapScript.

 - There are still configure and compilation issues on some Solaris and
   other non-Linux systems... we hope to resolve these in the coming
   months by completely rewriting the PHP module's configure code.

I think that's it for the news, a Windows DLL for PHP4.1.2 should be
made available on our download site in the next week or so.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca