[mapserver-users] Edit database attribute

E Perik erwin at perik.nu
Sun May 5 10:18:41 EDT 2002

Thanks Puneet and Steffen,

as you both state 'standard' mapserver + mapscript could easily do the
trick. 'Problem' in this case is, if someone else needs to edit the data
the have the complete 'source' in their hands. If this could be
'secured' or 'encrypted' I would be helped out at first, but no clue as
how to do that.

My intention was/is to have a standalone application and for that
MapObjects is a nice start.

Frank Koormann and associates are working on Thuban, which is a very
promising multi-platform viewer, and as I understood Editing attributes
would be one of it's features. However this is still in development.

MapObjects is definitely pricy for creating just that one purpose
application (viewer+editor) but can be changed to one's likings easily.
As VB is not the problem here, I had a go at that one. All looks very
nice, but again,.... editing attributes seems to be the problem. Not
mentioned in samples at all and not found any info regarding it.

Did have a look at ArcPad, but it's too restricted for editing.

Any other recommendations besides the ones described earlier are more
then welcome,...... :-)

Erwin