[mapserver-users] Arc/INFO export format files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 8 01:24:54 EDT 2002

Joe Bussell wrote:
> In 2000 there was a thread concerning Arc/INFO export format files.  At
> that time there seemed to be little by way of open source tools to
> convert this information into a format suitable for use with MapServer.
> Is this still the case?  Are there tools available which can perform
> conversion to shapefile?
>
> This querry came from a search for a better outline for California.  I
> stumbled onto http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/.  Does anyone have any
> experience with their data?  Am I wasting my time?

Joe,

While I don't think E00 can be directly used from MapServer, you can ironically
convert E00 into the much more opaque and proprietary Arc/Info Binary Coverage
format using the tools at this url, and then use the coverage directly with
very recent builds of GDAL/OGR and MapServer.

   http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/index-avce00.html

A GDAL/OGR 1.1.7 based build should work OK.

However, if you have arc/info (or arcview?) you might just want to convert to
shapefiles and be done with it.  Alternatively, you could use Daniel's tools
above to convert to binary coverage format, and then use ogr2ogr to convert
to shape.

Best regards,