[mapserver-users] MapServer and 2000

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri May 10 13:34:05 EDT 2002

Puneet -

Thanks; yes, if you're running IIS in a production environment, the machine you're running on needs to be a Windows 2000 Server system.

I do not agree with your description of a machine "Windows would choke on".  Did you actually see Windows "choke" on that machine?  I get very frustrated by folklore without basis.  I run Windows and Linux here, and I'm running Windows on a machine that sounds a lot like the one you're describing except it has a slower processor <g>.  No choking observed.

I also do not agree with your "stability" assessment, including the "enough tweaks" comment.  This also sounds a lot like hand-me-down folklore.  Just the other day I posted a comment about my production Windows 2000 server running the MapCard site (and several others).  I don't think I "tweaked" anything, and that system went into production on December 12 and the MapCard site went into full production on January 1.  It has never crashed, hung, or needed to be rebooted in the last five months.  What's so unstable about that?  My TopoZone topographic map server (not a MapServer application) has been running since November 30, 1999 without crashing or hanging.  It first ran Windows NT and has since been upgraded to Windows 2000.  It has been powered down or rebooted several times because it's been moved or upgraded.  It has served over one billion topographic map images in nearly 2.5 years.  Unstable?

Grep?  Gee, that's free software you can just download for Windows from http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/grep.html and other places - don't you have free downloadable software in the *nix world <g>?

Your comment about viruses is absolutely correct, and something anyone should consider in choosing a production environment.

I have one system I originally installed Windows 2000 on and then migrated to Red Hat Linux.  The chief difference was that my gigabit Ethernet card worked right out of the box on Windows 2000.  On Linux I had to download the driver SOURCE CODE from the vendor and then install my kernel sources so I could compile and build the driver and then edit my network scripts to load it at boot time.  I suppose you could call that "infinitely more interesting", but some users would call it something else.

I have developed a LOT of software for Windows, DOS, UNIX, Macintosh, a few failed home computer OSes, and mini and mainframe OSes I'd be embarassed to admit.  I guess I'm just not an OS bigot of ANY sort; in the vast majority of cases, the total cost of ownership has very little to do with the OS and a lot more to do with the skills and capabilities of the team doing the work.  But PLEASE base your decisions on real data that's relevant to your environment and to your application, not "conventional wisdom".

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com