[mapserver-users] MapServer and 2000

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Fri May 10 15:38:08 EDT 2002

>Starting Win2k/IIS, you can now finally actually run IIS on a Win2k
>workstation, but you are limited to 5 connections. If you want to run a
>full-scale IIS, you need a Win2k server... essentially, each IIS
>connection is treated as a user, and you need to have enough licenses.
>Usually, for a full-scale website you would need to get an unlimited
>license. If you run Win2k workstation, then you essentially get 5 licenses
>free... more than that and you are unable to connect, or you wait till a
>license becomes available.

I don't think that's correct. My understanding is that all web access is
via a single user. Your basic NT or 2000 Server license has you covered for
web serving. The client access licenses are for lan connection and the
basic server license comes with 5 licenses, one of which gets used up by
IIS (or Apache).

NT Workstation (and maybe 2000) did (does) have a limit of 10 simultaneous
IP connections. I think you are confusing the Workstation IP limit with the
5 client access licenses that come with Server.

Hopefully you are running your server behind a router, so the web traffic
only looks like one IP address anyway.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.