[mapserver-users] Tileindexing Bug with Mapscript (3.5)?

Sean Gillies sgillies at i3.com
Fri May 10 18:12:59 EDT 2002

I've an interesting problem with Python mapscript built from
the 3.5 release and am curious if it is a Python-only problem
and also if anybody has found a solution.

What I experience is this: tileindexed raster layers are
drawn properly when the map extent is greater than the extent
of the tileindex shapefile.  When the map extent is smaller
than the tileindex extent (raster data outside the map extents),
my raster layer draw() method raises an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "mapster.py", line 149, in mapFeature
     layerRaster.draw(map, img)
   File "C:\Python21\mapscript\MapScript.py", line 1025, in draw
RuntimeError: msSearchDiskTree(): Unable to access file.

This problem occurs even in the simplest case with one tileindexed
TIFF.  As soon as I zoom inside the extent of that feature,
Mapscript raises the exception.

My CGI mapserv.exe has no problem with raster data outside the
map extents.

I'm guessing that this problem is particular to Python (and perhaps
Java) mapscript since I haven't seen any Perl or PHP users' mention
of it.

cheers,
Sean