[mapserver-users] combine objects (was Rosa and CGI)

Lowell.Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Tue May 14 13:26:25 EDT 2002

Could a feature join be done in mapscript? Theoretically I believe yes,
because the nature of a shape is more like a region than it is a polygon. However
I have not tried combining two "in" shapeObjects into a single "out"
shapeObj. A step back may be required at this point to see if joinning the
shapes will cause more of a problem then it is worth. For example: if you
have two parcel polygons that both share a common parcel identifier but do
NOT share a common acreage you can not combine the individual polygons
into a single "shape" without loosing one of the distinct acreages or
combining the two acreages together before assigning the new acreage
value. If the CGI version does require a single record you may want to
look at using mapscript to handle the many-to-one or many-to-many
relationships.
My $0.02.
Lowell F.