[mapserver-users] display UTM points on Lambert data?

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Tue May 14 18:09:19 EDT 2002

For the archives...

Steve Lime confirmed that it's best to just define a projection object for
the dynamically generated layer of UTM-based points, transforming it to
Lambert CC on the fly (thanks Steve).

Here are the PROJ4 parameters for my map object...

  PROJECTION
    "proj=lcc"       # Lambert Conformal Conic
    "datum=NAD83"    # North American Datum of 1983
    "units=ft"       # international feet (0.3048 meters)
    "lon_0=-120.5"   # central meridian
    "lat_0=41.75"    # latitude of projection's origin
    "lat_1=43"       # 1st standard parallel
    "lat_2=45.5"     # 2nd standard parallel
    "x_0=400000"     # false easting (meters), (1,312,335.958 ft)
    "y_0=0"          # false northing (meters)
  END

...and for my layer object...

  PROJECTION
    "proj=utm"
    "ellps=clrk66"
    "zone=10"
    "north"
  END

In testing with a static shapefile (UTM zone 10), this works really well :-)

--Dylan