[mapserver-users] display UTM points on Lambert data?

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Mon May 13 21:13:48 EDT 2002

I'm working with statewide data sets for Oregon.  Since Oregon spans two UTM
zones, I projected my UTM10 and UTM11 data to a common projection (Oregon
centered Lambert, a version of Lambert CC).  All the layers match up nicely
in my MapServer app.

Next, I'd like to display point layers that are dynamically generated from
database queries.  The coordinates in the database are in UTM.  Oregon
Lambert units are international feet.  It's easy enough to convert meters to
international feet, but the layers still won't match up since the features
are in different projections.

Do I need to reproject the dynamically generated point layer on the fly?  Is
there a better solution that I'm not seeing?  I'm sure others have dealt
with the issue of spanning two (or more) UTM zones, and displaying points
from different projections...

Thanks.

--Dylan