[mapserver-users] Building mapserver with postgis

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Fri May 17 13:57:21 EDT 2002

I don;t know if my problem is the same as yours, but here is my description:

system: redhat linux 7.0
mapserver version: 3.6 dev (couple weeks old)
postgres, manually compiled: 7.2
php, manually compiled, installed as cgi: 4.1.2

I will note that anytime I try to execute php at all (with or without
mapserver), I get the message:
php: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.2: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

I tried to fix this by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but no dice.

My initial install of postgres was via rpm, but I had to replace that due to
the necessity of a source tree for postgis. I suspect that this may be the
source of my worries. I am now recompiling php with the appropriate
--with-pgsql= switch. I did note that the location of the redhat rpm version
of postgres did NOT put itself in the default /usr/local/pgsql directory.

I'll report back after my new compile and install.

rob