[mapserver-users] Building mapserver with postgis

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Fri May 17 14:37:19 EDT 2002

As per my previous email, I too could not run mapscript after installing
postgis.
In order to get postgis to work I had to un-install (rpm -e) my current
version of postgresql, and manually compile 7.2.

My trouble boiled down to the fact that the rpm install of postgres stored the
libraries in :
/usr/lib/

while the hand compiled version installed them in:
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/

I tried to recompile php and mapscript both, and could NOT successfully
recompiule, even though I tried numerous times, using the same configure
options as before, and tweaking them. Perhaps there is some system confusion,
cause it would bonk when reaching postgres part of the compile??

Anyhow, I kludged my way through it, and made a soft link as folows:

ln /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.2.2 /usr/lib/libpq.so.2.2 -s

for each library -> libpq.so libpq.so.2 libpq.so.2.2

Now my php and mapscript works, although I have not tried postGIS yet I am
working on that now.

Hope this helps someone,

Rob