[mapserver-users] Mapfile Enhancement?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed May 22 14:55:18 EDT 2002

As mentioned in other posts classes provide what you're looking for. I
have toyed with the possibility of generating classes on-the-fly based
on quarties or other natural breaks in the data. In those cases you'd
work from statistics pre-computed (there'd be a utility like shptree to
generate stats files) from an item to build classes as directed. I'm not
quite sure how useful it would be since even with ArcView you manually
have to tweak colors and legend names. However, in certain cases with
continuous data it might come in handy. Not many folks want it though
(are there any?) so it remains just an idea.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 05/21/02 02:59PM >>>
Hi all,

In ArcExplorer there is a feature that allows you to assign class
breaks
to theme properties based on a numeric field attribute and a color
ramp.
Has this be contemplated for 3.6?

I am generating drivetime polygons that are like contour rings and
would
like to be able to display each ring as a different color. I also
believe that a few other people have requested a similar feature for
polygons so they could display different polygons as different colors
from the same shape file.

I can work a round it by creating a bunch of class entries.

-Steve