[mapserver-users] Mapfile Enhancement?

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue May 21 17:29:13 EDT 2002

this is a very interesting point to ponder.

definitely it would be cool to have a color-ramp feature built in, but...

isn't it better to let mapserver do what its best at... given a set of
"conditions," rip real fast through the data and generate the map. Let all
the customization, coloring, etc., remain outside and in the user's control
via mapscript, cgi, et al.

perhaps an alternative to the current mapfile syntax/structure that enables
us to build a complex layer without the cumbersome multiple class entries
kluge would be a more desirable approach.

it would be cool if mapserver remains tiny, barebones, and superfast engine,
while the "cool features" go into the toolbox.

something to chew on.