[mapserver-users] Mapfile Enhancement?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue May 21 17:11:06 EDT 2002

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> In ArcExplorer there is a feature that allows you to assign class breaks
> to theme properties based on a numeric field attribute and a color ramp.
> Has this be contemplated for 3.6?
>
> I am generating drivetime polygons that are like contour rings and would
> like to be able to display each ring as a different color. I also
> believe that a few other people have requested a similar feature for
> polygons so they could display different polygons as different colors
> from the same shape file.
>
> I can work a round it by creating a bunch of class entries.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but creating a bunch of class entries
seems like the actual solution and not a work around. e.g.:

LAYER
  CLASS
    EXPRESSION (([ATTR] > 0) AND ([ATTR] <= 20))
  END
END
LAYER
  CLASS
    EXPRESSION (([ATTR] > 20) AND ([ATTR] <= 40))
  END
END
LAYER
  CLASS
    EXPRESSION ([ATTR] > 40)
  END
END

This is a categorical color ramp. If you look in an ArcIMS AXL file, for
example, on a categorical color ramped field, you will see ArcXML
entries which essentially do exactly the above.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey