[mapserver-users] OT: Cataloguing masses of spatial data

Pushkar Pradhan pushkar at ERC.MsState.Edu
Wed May 22 15:00:58 EDT 2002

Hi Tyler,
I've been asked by my orgaz. to look into search engine capabilities to
search for images, data etc. within my site (DB) and would like to know
other's thoughts if it's appropriate on this list.

> Hi guys and gals,
> I'm reorganizing our corporate spatail data and have made up a few tools to
> recursively search through folders for spatial (GDAL/OGR recognized)
> datasets.  Then it saves an entry into a comma separated file which I can
> then load into a database.  I hope to be able to use this database
> (somehow) for looking up datasets in the future.  I will be building in
> metadata that will link to a file location.
>
> Has anyone else been doing anything like this?  I'd love to get the
> discussion going.  It's kinda based on the concept of the WMS
> getcapabilities - but with a much broader scope - i.e. not for use in
> mapserver per se but as a data management tool that could help users know
> what data is available for use as a layer in mapserver.
>
> Anyway, I'm not explaining my thoughts very well.  But essentially I'm
> building a database catalogue of our spatial database and would like to end
> up using it for more than a "manger-level" lookup of what kind of data we
> have in our company.  Doing anything similar?  Any other related ideas?
>
> Tyler

-Pushkar S. Pradhan