[mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

Mike Haarman mhaarma at socsci.umn.edu
Wed May 22 15:41:57 EDT 2002

Correct me, please, but I don't think anyone is advocating throwing out
the current format.  The desire is to support additional functionality for
those of us for whom the cost/benefit ratio makes sense.

Mike

On Wed, 22 May 2002 imap at chesapeake.net wrote:

> yah.. *please* dont break the native mapfile format...
> upgrades are painful enough without completely overhauling
> the mapfile to a new format.  Some backward compatibilty
> would be apprecitated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
> Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc.
>
> Steve Lime wrote:
> >
> > Ok, you're a whiner. <g>
> >
> > This is being looked into. There are other competing priorities at the
> > moment so it's down
> > the list a bit right now. My plan would be to support both native and
> > XML-based configuration
> > in the short term until some of the performance issues could be dealt
> > with. One could actually
> > make MapServer read XML with just a few tweaks of the lexer, and since
> > you wouldn't validate
> > at that point anyway...
> >
> > I'd like to see the conversation continue, perhaps off list with a
> > smaller group. Some practical
> > demonstrations of the benefits of an XML-based config file might also
> > help those of us not
> > experienced with XML see the light.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Stephen Lime
> > Data & Applications Manager
> >
> > Minnesota DNR
> > 500 Lafayette Road
> > St. Paul, MN 55155
> > 651-297-2937

> > I hear you on the performance concerns.  However, I think we could get
> >
> > around that by serializing the XML DOM object into a file (that's how
> > ArcIMS
> > does it.... which probably hurts my case more than anything).  Then the
> > only
> > time the XML file would be parsed is in the first request after a
> > change to
> > it is made (done by using file's timestamps).  Who knows, it might even
> > be
> > fast than the current implementation.  I don't really know if that's
> > true as
> > I have not actually used serialized DOM files in my own apps... but it
> > makes
> > sense to me that it could possibly alleviate your performance
> > concerns.
> > Now, assuming that performance wasn't an issue, I still hear concerns
> > about
> > simplicity.  In raw text-edit mode, there's nothing that can be done
> > about
> > that.  I consider it a very minor difference... but that's just a
> > matter of
> > taste and there will never be a consensus on that.  All I can say about
> > that
> > is that XML would make it tremendously easier for people to write
> > mapfile
> > generation/editing tools.... also for people writing tools to batch
> > update
> > their mapfiles, etc.  In other words, with maybe the very minor
> > exception of
> [...]

Mike Haarman                        Minnesota Population Center,
mhaarma at socsci.umn.edu              University of Minnesota,
                                    537 Heller Hall,
                                    Minneapolis, MN 55455
Co-Architect, Programmer,