[mapserver-users] mapserver-dev list? (was: XML mapfile?)

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu May 23 11:04:38 EDT 2002

That makes more sense to me. There was a request for an interoperability
(e.g., WMS) list but my feeling now is that depending on the issue it
will fit nicely into either the users or the dev list. Any objections to
just doing a mapserver-dev?

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Steve Lime wrote:

> Anyway, I might suggest taking this discussion offline to another
list,
> perhaps mapserver-xml or something along those lines. I can request
that
> the UMN set that up for us. Sound reasonable?

Well, I suspect that the discussion won't last long if it gets a list
of
its own since very few people will subscribe to it, and hence very few
new ideas will be contributed.

How about a mapserver-dev list where all new development questions are
discussed without disturbing regular users?  I wish there was such a
list everytime I have to send a message to 3 or 4 of the MapServer
developers at the same time to discuss new features... but I never
took
the time to discuss the idea with anyone.

Developers would subscribe to this mapserver-dev and discuss new
features there instead of in private Email discussions, and
power-users
that want to have the scoops on the latest features could subscribe to
this list as well.  Then the mapserver-users list would come back to
its
original goal when Steve was the only developer: a support forum for
users.

Waddayathink?
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca