[mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu May 23 14:46:30 EDT 2002

Just for clarification the proposal now is to have only 2 lists:

  - mapserver-users, for technical support issues
  - mapserver-dev, nuts-and-bolts technical discussions

Anything beyond those would be of little value. The point is that
someone
trying to deal with shared library issue could care less about XML or
OGR
development, and shouldn't have to wade through those messages (or
one's like these).

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Puneet Kishor <pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com> 05/23/02 12:37PM >>>

separate
XML list, I am with C F (btw, unless you prefer to be referred to as C
F,
who are you... you make really good points, and I would like to refer
to you
by name ;-)

A separate XML list would be self-defeating... when I proposed a
web-forum a
long time ago, _one_ of the many reasons behind it was to tune out
specific
discussions, and/or tune in to others. Opposition to that idea was
that
filtering would never give me the whole picture.

I can choose to not participate in the XML debate because it bores me
tears or, even better, because I know nothing about it. But at least I
will
have a gist of the arc of the discussion.

Evolving the mapfile format to XML is a foundational change, and we all
need
to be invested in it.

I completely vote against a separate XML list... otherwise next we know
we
will have a separate "where-can-I-get-a-Windoze-binary" list, or a
separate
"why-is-mapscript-not-working-with-PHP-4.2.x" list... you get the
picture.

XML is in our future, and we have to discuss it here.

Just my 2 rupees.

Puneet.