[mapserver-users] Reference Map via WMS?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Sun May 26 12:55:25 EDT 2002

AntleN at DFO-MPO.GC.CA wrote:

>    I was wondering if it was possible to access the Mapserver Reference Map
> via a WMS request?  If not, is it possible to change map file parameters via
> a WMS request?  I am familiar with how to add features to a layer via a
> mapserver Get request and I would like to do the same via a WMS request.  I
> am new to mapserver and I am not sure if this is even possible.  Any help on
> this would be greatly appreciated.

No, the WMS interface doesn't allow you to access the reference map at
all, and it won't allow you to change mapfile parameters via the URL,
except to the level defined in the WMS spec, i.e. specifying the output
projection and turning layers on and off.  (If/when we support the SLD
extension to WMS, then you would get some control on class parameters.)

In theory I guess the traditional mapserv CGI parameters could be
supported in WMS requests as "vendor-specific parameters" but it's not
the case at the moment, and even if we went that route it would probably
have to be only for a subset of the mapserv CGI parameters because of
potentially conflicting behaviors between some WMS parameters and some
mapserv parameters.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca