[mapserver-users] Re: Shadow below map

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 28 20:55:16 EDT 2002

I'm not sure you can do a shadow, but you might be able to by using an
OUTLINESYMBOL that is offset from 0,0 like:

symbol
  name 'offset'
  type vector
  points
    0 0 1 -1
  end
end

layer
  name 'county'
  type polygon
  data ...
  class
    symbol 'offset'
    size 5
    color 85 85 85   # gray
    overlaysymbol 'circle'
    overlaycolor 255 255 255 # white
    overlayoutlinecolor 0 0 0 # black
  end
end

OK, I haven't tried this, but the idea is that we lay down a polygon
using the offset symbol which is a 45 degree line to the right in gray.
It is size 5 so the diagonal will be 7 pixels. Then we lay down a white
polygon that is not offset, and we outline the white polygon in black.

Let us know if it works.

-Steve