[mapserver-users] classObj mapscript feature request: getClassIndex() method

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Fri May 31 10:19:57 EDT 2002

Steve/list,

OK, I've got a feature request for classObj... In prior version, we
were able to reference a class by a string, and somewhere around 3.4
or 3.5, this was changed so that it could only be referenced by
class_index... where there is a problem here because there isnt a
method to interrogate a classObj for it's index after it is created
so this has to be handled externally...  It is a pain in the ass to
do this, because you have to maintain a set of variables for layers/
class indexes outside of the mapscript structure.

Going back thru the emails, there was some reference to this issue
in a Sept, 01 email:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0109/msg00122.html

where you were going to create a mapscript method called getClassIndex()
which I believe would solve the issue...  This method didnt make it into
the 3.5 version.  If this hasnt already been implemented, could we add
it to the current version.

I coded a work around for my app, but its butt ugly... so I thought
I would go ahead and remind you (and hold your feet to the fire.  ;)

Thanks,

C. Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc
(410)257-3187