[mapserver-users] Complex Symbols?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 1 14:08:42 EST 2002

Changes in the way symbols are agregated for a layer in 3.7 should allow
for
railroad symbols and much more complex ones. These changes bring back
some of the old 3.2 architecture that did allow for these. I'll provide
more
detail as we get closer to a release.

In the meantime, truetype symbols are the best bet. For example you
can
use a single pixel line as the base symbol and then use  a truetype
"pipe"
symbol for the overlay symbol.

Steve

>>> "Martin, Daniel" <DMartin at erac.com> 11/01/02 11:41AM >>>
I scoured the mailing lists for information on making the exact same
symbol
recently.  It shows up in the archives several times.  I hate to say
anything can't be done, but I've not found any way to do this in
MapServer.
MapServer gives a continuous smear for symbols for "line" type layers.

I got close using a centered truetype "t" label without any symbol.
Unfortunately it doesn't turn out quite right.  Labeling occurs on a
per
segment basis, which gives no uniformity.  It was a hack anyway.

-Dan