[mapserver-users] Shapefile Modification

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Nov 4 13:29:58 EST 2002

Is there an attribute/field in the shapefiles that you could use to specify
which features to remove?  Is so, I would recommend the ogr2ogr tool (part
of www.remotesensing.org/gdal) to convert from shapefile to shapefile
including a where clause like "where x = 'USA'".   Do you have a
usa_polygon.shp file?  Do you have access to ArcView?

                      Keith Baker
                      <krbaker at metacarta.com>             To:       mapserver-users <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-mapserver-users at lists.        Fax to:
                      gis.umn.edu                         Subject:  [mapserver-users] Shapefile Modification

                      11/04/2002 09:31 AM

I have some basic shapefiles of the world, and then I have tiger
shapfiles.  The world shapefiles have some duplicated data such as US
roads.  I'd like to trim all data within the US out of the world data.
This seems like a somewhat common task so I am hoping there is a tool
out there?  Something like trim north_american_highways.shp with
usa_polygon.shp...  Hints? tips? evil vibes?