[mapserver-users] Shapefile Modification

Drew from Zhrodague drew at Zhrodague.net
Mon Nov 4 15:41:48 EST 2002

> Humm...  All suggestions turned out negitive.
>
> ogr2ogr can remove things based on extent, but not based on another
> shapefile.  I may go hack away at it...  not sure yet.  Seems like
> something someone must have done.  I don't want to have to purchase
> ArcView for this project if I can avoid it.

	No, no, use Grass -- took me a while to collect all of the
packages, and compile the thing, and I haven't figured-out how to use it
yet -- but Grass is supposed to be a free X GIS package (which will run on
a variety of platforms). I imagine you'd be able to visually tweak the
datasets to your liking that way. Also, there's Maplab, which may help.

	You'd have to homogenize your data in some way, and specify which
maps were superfluous in some way -- we have the same problem
(http://www.WiFiMaps.com), but we've just left the extra layers
superimposing eachother.