[mapserver-users] scale

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 6 13:52:02 EST 2002

Scale is computed based on an "average" monitor resolution of 72 PPI.
So, the actual
computed scale is likely not correct for a given monitor. That's ok
though since for the
most part it is used for relative decision making (i.e. turn this off
at this value). I advocate
using the [scale] substitution value for tuning your mapfile (i.e.
setting MINSCALE/MAXSCALE)
and not for presentation.

Note that the fuzziness in computing a scale "value" doesn't mean that
scalebars are fuzzy.
They are correct regardless of monitor characteristics.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Murray, Ross" <rmurray at nrcan.gc.ca> 11/06/02 08:31AM >>>
I hate to rush anyone, given the gracious help I have received from
listers.
However, I would like to see an answer to the below question soon.
Specifically, if my maps display the way I want on my monitor
(1024X768) how
should I adjust maxscale when I am using a different machine (say
during
presentations to be given, say this Friday)? I can change map size
programmatically without trouble but getting the scale right seems to
be hit
and miss. Is it a true scale or are units like pixels per map unit
invloved?