[mapserver-users] I know this is a dumb question but...

Thomas P. Colson tpcolson at nexussoft.com
Fri Nov 8 10:27:29 EST 2002

How to set viewable extent?
I did this two ways:

Took the demo map file and re-hacked it to include my own data
Made a new mapfile from scratch.

Everything loads up fine in browser window: Legend, Scale, etc...

Except in my map window, no Map! I'm convinced I'm not setting something right in extent/scale. I've tried many combinations of numbers, however, something is telling me that the map is being displayed in this hypothetical location several hundred feet to the left of my monitor.

So what is the "rule of thumb" when setting extent/scale?

(What I'm trying to display is a polyygon, about 40 KM long and 20 wide, with a center point of

78 40'49.99" W
35 46'13.14" N