[mapserver-users] beginner getting started

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Mon Nov 11 12:49:50 EST 2002

Seth,

It should work on Windows XP although I haven't tried compiling it there
(I don't have XP on my machine).  It sounds like you've downloaded the
source code.  If you'd like to compile it yourself, you'll MS VC/C++ and
lots of time (you'll also have to compile other libraries needed by
MapServer).  If you don't want to start there, download one of the
binaries at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/win32binaries.html or at
http://www.dmsolutions.ca/dl/webtools/dl/.  DM Solutions provides a
php/mapscript dll for Windows.  If you are familiar with php, you might
consider looking into it.

By the way, I use MapServer both on Linux and Windows, and it works well
on both.  If you are familiar with Linux, you should try it there as
well.  It's much easier to compile MapServer in Linux...  although there
are pitfalls, as already mentioned by others.

Good luck!
-Perry