[mapserver-users] beginner getting started

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at gasai.com
Mon Nov 11 13:33:06 EST 2002

> I am running XP on my machine. Will this be a problem? I can move
> to another machine if needed.

This shouldn't be a problem. The first thing you need to do is make sure
that you have a functioning web service. I'm not an XP person, but Win2K Pro
gives you the option to install IIS (Internet Information Service) as a web
server. You could also go through the process of installing Apache (free).
Start off by looking up "IIS" in help, and see how to install it.

As others have mentioned before, the OS you use is irrelevant. All platforms
come with their pro's and con's... if you are comfortable working in the
windows environment, then stick with that... otherwise you'll be adding one
more thing to the things you need to figure out.

The executables are not bundled with the demo (at least they didn't used to
be). From the main web site, look under downloads. You will see that there
are "pre-compiled binaries" - you should choose one of these. This will have
an executable (mapserv.exe) - this should get you started.

> I hope that I am not biting off too much with this task.

There is undoubtedly a learning curve...