[mapserver-users] beginner getting started

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Nov 11 20:33:53 EST 2002

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> 3. If you need Postgres/PostGIS support you need *nix, or Cygwin
> (although there are rumors of a Win build for Postgres, I have not seen
> it).

Puneet, et al,
  There was a beta of a Windows-native PostgreSQL floating around about
4 months ago, and one of our users even got PostGIS installed and
working on it, but since then everything has gone silent. From this I
guess we can infer that (a) windows-native PgSQL does exist (b) PostGIS
will be usable on window-native PgSQL when it is released (c) at some
point windows users may be gratified with a release.
  Note that you can run Mapserver on Windows and connect to a
PostgreSQL/PostGIS system running on UNIX via a TCP/IP network. The
PostgreSQL client libraries do TCP/IP connections quite happily, and the
Mapserver/PostGIS adapter has been tested with all sorts of funny
client/server, big-endian/little-endian combinations.
  And of course you can run PostgreSQL/PostGIS under windows using the
cygwin helper suite (www.cygwin.com). We have lots of users that do so.

P.