[mapserver-users] MapServer Platform/OS Survey (was: beginner getting started)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Nov 11 20:58:49 EST 2002

Thomas P. Colson wrote:

> Daniel,I think this calls for a detailed user survey. There are
> several cookie cutter survey cgi-forms out there. I'd be interested
> to see what the major install base is.

For those interested in a survey, there's a small one in the MapServer
wiki that was started a few months ago by Tyler Mitchell.  This should
at least give you an idea of which platforms are used to run MapServer:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Platforms_And_Processors

Daniel

P.S. Note that the objective of this survey was not to decide which one
of Windows or Unix/Linux was better, but to find the smallest processor
that was used to run sites with MapServer apps.  Until now the one to
beat is a Pentium 120... anyone running on a P90, P75, or even a 486?
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca