[mapserver-users] abutters lists

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Nov 19 18:15:03 EST 2002

This all relates to stuff I have been pondering...

<ramble>

One question I have is just how much does .shp constrain us doing
these sorts of operations? Once upon a time, I wrote some code to
generate adjacency matrices for forest compartments. Doing this in
Arc/INFO was great, the LPOLY,RPOLY topology meant I could do the
whole thing in a couple of database queries. Shape OTOH will let you
have "adjacent" boundaries that don't quite touch, or indeed overlap,
which makes these kinds of operations a bit more tricky. Point being
that the format you store spatial data in influences what you can
do with said spatial data.

This is where I see things like PostGIS fitting in. Rather than
trying to do it all inside Mapserver, would it be more sensible
to expect your feature source to do these sorts of operations for you?
In this case, all Mapserver would ned to know is how to display the
feature returned.

</ramble>

Cheers,

Antti