[mapserver-users] abutters lists....

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Nov 19 18:47:44 EST 2002

The buffering algorithm is tricky, but an interesting problem.
Growing the vectors from the centriod only works for convex polygons,
it will fail for concave polygons like:

      +---------+       +---------+
       |          |        |          |
       |          +------+          |

The right way to do this, I think, is to walk around the polygon and
construct offsets, then interest the offsets and re-chain the
segments into a new polygon, you also have to eliminate loops on the
new polygon caused by the fact that the offset can eliminate some
features from the new polygon. For example with a large enough offset
the notch in the above would be eliminated from the topology of the
new offset polygon changing it from 6 vertices to 4 vertices.

-Steve W.