[mapserver-users] MapServer Performance

Lowther, David W dlowther at ou.edu
Thu Nov 21 08:18:15 EST 2002

Benjamin,

I have been using Mapserver for about 2-3 months now. Before that we used a
CGI app written around MapObjects and at times we played with ArcIMS to
compare performance. In my experience, Mapserver FAR FAR FAR outperforms
ESRI products. The real shock for me was that I could load a layer of 55,000
parcels into Arcview 3x, turn the layer on, THEN click refresh on my
Mapserver page with those same parcels in the map and the Mapserver page
returned well before Arcview finished drawing - consistently.

I don't know HOW Mapserver is so fast, but it is. So far performance has
been equally as good with other vector layers as well as raster layers. All
this, for free, platform independant.

I guess while I am on my grateful box I'll add that the support from this
mailing list and the user community in general is outstanding.

HUGE thanks to all that make and support Mapserver,

Dave Lowther
Geo Information Systems
University of Oklahoma