[mapserver-users] Raster images in a DB

Shaun Kolomeitz S.Kolomeitz at toowoomba.qld.gov.au
Thu Nov 21 16:50:43 EST 2002

Dear MapServers,

Has anyone thought of developing a mechanism to store raster images in a
database ?
The reason I ask is that we have all of our current and historical imagery
within ArcSDE and it runs like a cut cat (ie great !).
Tiling, raster resampling etc are all done within the db and utilised by
the clients (like ArcMap, ArcIMS) at request time.
Has anyone dabbled in this area ? Would PostGreSQL or MySQL be the likely
contenders ?
Are current methods working fine without this ?

Regards,
Shaun Kolomeitz

eBusiness Manager, Toowoomba City Council
Phone: 07 4688 6863
Mail to:S.Kolomeitz at toowoomba.qld.gov.au
This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain
confidential or privileged information and is intended for the sole use of
the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, or
the person responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient, please notify Toowoomba City Council immediately and destroy
any copies of the original message.  Any unauthorised review, use,
alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email (including any
attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.  While all care is
taken, Council cannot guarantee that this email message (and any
accompanying file attachments) are free of viruses.  The Council accepts
no responsibility for the content of any email which is sent by an
employee which is of a personal nature or which represents the personal
view of the sender.