[postgis-users] Re: [mapserver-users] MapServer Performance

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Mon Nov 25 21:18:51 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:16:02PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Vinko Vrsalovic wrote:
> >
> >In the CVS for MS 3.7? PostGIS 0.7.3?
>
> In order to get the best support for arbitrary SQL queries in the
> mapserver/postgis connector, you should pull the CVS version of 3.6, or
> take the release version of 3.6 and copy the CVS version of mappostgis.c
> into it. All the smarts is in the connector, so a recent version of
> PostGIS like 0.7.3 will be sufficient.

Thanks a lot!

It now works at an acceptable speed, but the problem was that I forgot to
add an index over a column I was querying :-).

In this particular experience (dynamically classifying around 30 features),
the difference between classifying on Postgres v/s on Mapserver isn't particularly
noticeable.

>From 100 runs:

On Postgres:

min: 1.0 sec.
max: 1.47 sec.
avg: 1.26 sec.

On Mapserver:

min: 0.8 sec.
max: 1.65 sec.
avg: 1.32 sec.

I'll be soon adding more features to the dynamic classification, I'll
see then if the difference grows...

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|- at -|]vinko.cl>
http://www.cprsig.cl