[mapserver-users] PHP (4.2.3) Mapscript as DSO

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Nov 25 19:23:23 EST 2002

Daniel Berstein wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Does anyone knows when will the PHP Mapscript support for DSO be available?

Hmmm.  If someone should know I guess that would be me!  Unfortunately I
cannot give you a fixed date for it.  This keeps getting pushed down our
priority list since the CGI mode works fine and doesn't prevent anyone
from using MapScript in production environments.

However, here is the status:

- The main issue was the use of chdir() and a fix for this has been
applied to MapServer a few weeks ago (caused changes in several areas of
MapServer).  This new code has been exercised a lot since then.  A few
minor issues have been reported with this that will be addressed in the
next week or so.

- The next step is to rewrite the initialization/cleanup portions of
php_mapscript.c to behave properly in DSO mode, avoid use of globals,
etc.

- Then we should be ready to test again in DSO mode.

The optimistic developer in me thinks that we should see this in a 3.7
release shortly before Christmas, but it all depends on other
priorities, how the 3.7 release process goes, etc.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca