[mapserver-users] project onto a globe?

Tom Hodder t.hodder at globalgold.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 12:42:44 EST 2002

> Tom -
>
> I don't think I understand the question.  Monitors and printers
> are flat (relatively) surfaces - so most map projections project
> a portion (or all) of the earth onto a flat surface.  What
> exactly are you trying to do?
>
> 	- Ed

sorry, i meant a 2d representation of a globe.

I have it setup where its possible to zoom out to a world basemap, so I
showed it
to a marketing bod, it looks similar to this;
http://mapserver.socialchange.net.au/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=..%2Fmaps%2Fworld%2
Fworld.map&layer=land_raster&zoomsize=2
(but this is not my version, as I'm developing it on an internal server)

and they said can make it so that the complete map is projected onto a 2d
globe
centered about a given point, because that looks nicer. so i said I will see
what
I can do.

Cheers

Tom H