[mapserver-users] project onto a globe?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Nov 26 13:27:02 EST 2002

Tom -

If I understand correctly, what you folks in the UK call a "2D representation of a globe" is known as a "circle" over here <g>.

Is that right?  There are certainly map projections available that project the surface of the entire Earth onto a circle, such as the Azimuthal Equidistant.  However, they of necessity introduce gross distortions at the edges (away from the center point of the projection).  This is also true of projections like Mercator and your example map, but those projections are common enough that they "look normal" to most people.

You can see a good example of the Azimuthal Equidistant used to map the whole Earth (centered on North America) at:

http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/gmt/doc/html/GMT_Docs/node86.html

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker