[mapserver-users] Answer to Why Configure Fails to Detected GD Supported Graphics Formats

Caffeinate The World mochaexpress at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 04:31:21 EST 2002

I was confused for a few days on why 'configure' would fail to detect that my gd-2.0.7 library didn't have PNG, JPEG, etc. supported formats. Using ld and nm I verified that the associated libraries were linked with libgd.so, but Mapserver's configure script still said those formats weren't supported by my version of gd.

It turned out my libgd.so was linked with libXpm.so and libX11.so. When configure compiled it's test program to check to see if it can use certain functions like gdImagePng() or gdImageGif(), the test app would aways fail cause it's linking with libgd.so but doesn't have any switches for -lXpm or -lX11 and if necessary proper -rpath (for *BSD). Consequently no supported graphic function was found.

I would like to suggest we add --with-x11[=dir] and --with-xpm[=dir] to configure.