[mapserver-users] re: FONT Error: msGetLabelSize()

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Oct 4 14:23:59 EDT 2002

It looks like a few of us are running into the same problem using fonts
this week, specifically using windows paths.
I couldn't find an answer to the comments on:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0110/msg00050.html
That basically tells us not to bother trying to use full windows paths to
fonts, but only paths relative to the fontset file.
He suggested that it was a GD limitation - can anyone confirm this is so?

i.e. a fontset entry of:
arial      fontset/arial.ttf
works fine when I put a copy of the ttf in the same folders as my fontset
file.

But:
arial c:/winnt/fonts/arial.ttf
(or any other folder or font name, for that matter) gives the infamous
"TrueType Font error. Could not find/open font".

TTF fonts work great otherwise, but to date I've been copying the fonts I
want into my fontset folder for the mapserver app.

Tyler