[mapserver-users] Antialiased Lines in mapserver?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Oct 7 15:59:05 EDT 2002

I'm sorta hoping that GD 2.0 will offer anti-aliasing. It's not that
hard and there are numerous algorithms out there. Way back I actually
looked into using ImageMagick instead of GD. However, the author of IM
warned that in tests GD was approximately 6 times faster than IM. That's
a hefty price to pay for smooth lines.

In my opinion, it might be easier to update GD to do antialiasing than
to use IM. The new arch is not well documented yet since a production
version has not even been released yet. Basically it would consist of
functions to draw shapeObj's a points, lines and polygons given
MapServers symbolization scheme.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Daniel Morissette wrote:

>David Monterroso Cabello wrote:
>

>>    And finally,  a question for developers, would it be possible to
>>switch to ImageMagick for vector rendering?, that library render
fine
>>antialiased lines  =), althought i dunno if it support everything
>>mapserver needs.
>>

>I had a quick look at the ImageMagick website and saw that they
support
>a good set of vector rendering functions, so adding ImageMagick as a
new
>(optional) output system would be possible in the new architecture
>developed in version 3.7.  As usual, we just need someone with time
>do this, or money to fund this work.

    Yes, i thought the same when i saw IM web, i dunno if it is very
difficult but if finally there is no other way to do antialiasing  and

you think is posible i would like to try to implement it.  Do you know

about any doc or something i can read to understand the new output
architecture?.

Many thx