[mapserver-users] Antialiased Lines in mapserver?

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Oct 7 19:44:15 EDT 2002

On 7 Oct 2002 at 14:59, Steve Lime wrote:

> I'm sorta hoping that GD 2.0 will offer anti-aliasing. It's not that
> hard and there are numerous algorithms out there. Way back I actually
> looked into using ImageMagick instead of GD. However, the author of IM
> warned that in tests GD was approximately 6 times faster than IM.
> That's a hefty price to pay for smooth lines.

I think that this should be evaluated again in light of the fact that
GD 2.0 will be using deeper image depth that will impact performance.

Which raises another question in my mind.

Would it make sense to or is it planned that the output routines will
be installable or selectable at runtime (maybe via the map file) so
for applications that need the performance but can live with GD 1.x
image quality can get it, while other apps can get the features they
need?

Shouldn't it be possible to have output drivers for GD 1.x, GD 2.x,
ImageMagick, Postscript, Flash, etc. Assuming that someone implements
each of them.

-Steve W.